One of my most favorite phrases in the business is "Inspiration can come from anywhere." I live by that. I find inspiration in my friends, family, clothes, a good movie, a great quote, a delicious meal, even in a stranger.
Lately, I've been getting a lot of inspiration from lists. I recently read an amazing blog from a mother to her young son. In a list of less than fifty, she told him all that she felt he needed to know about life.
As I read, I began to think. Is it really that simple? Can everything we need to know about life be dwindled down to a numerical list?
I don't have children. I don't know if I ever will. But, I do know what it was like to be a child. Reading these many lists got me thinking. What would I tell myself about life thus far? Can I fit in one short list everything that I would need to know?
1. Life is short. People will be taken away from you too early, too late, too everything. The grief left behind will be almost enough to kill you but, I promise-- it won't.
2. Love is short. People will come in your life, love you violently, and leave. There will be plenty of people that feel so right at some point but, end up so wrong. The grief left behind will almost be enough to kill you but, I promise--it won't.
3. Love is long. There are people in your life that will love you for the duration of it and beyond. These are your friends and your family. Use them for strength when you are weak, direction when you are lost and above all--a source for great memories.
4. Work is hard. You will succeed and fail. It won't be as easy as you thought it was going to be in college and you will spend your life climbing the ladder and working your ass off. That's why it's called "hard work."
5. The ladder isn't everything. You have to love what you do, work is going to be a large part of your life but, it isn't your life. Don't get so busy attempting to succeed in your career that you forget what's really important. "Work to live, don't live to work."
6. Be yourself.
Unless yourself is an awful son-of-a-bitch. Embrace your character traits, be accepting of them. No, I will never be quiet and reserved.
7. Accept. Just as you want to be accepted for who you are, you should accept others. It takes all kinds to make this great world go round, remember that.
8. Change with changes. The only constant in life is change. Get ready for it. Accept it. Move with it. You have to.
Love, Family, Friends, Work, Acceptance and Change. That's life. That's what I would want to know. I guarantee this list will ebb and flow with the course of my life. It will get longer and shorter and more cynical and less cynical. It will grow and change. That's the process of life in general though, right?
I'd like to make it a goal to revisit this post once yearly. Hopefully, one day I can look back and remember to read all of them. Revised year, over year. It will be a nice reminder to where I've been.
And where I'm going...