New Years Eve. A spectacle of women in anything that sparkles from Forever 21, and men in Express button downs, drinking until they throw up and then swapping spit at midnight. Fun? I think not.
I have never been a huge fan of New Years Eve. Don't get me wrong, I love a good party. But, a good party on any other day of the year. For me, it's always felt a little depressing. Saying goodbye to a year of laughter, fun, tears, fights--growth. I find that much harder than being excited for a fresh start.
But-- there is one time-old tradition that comes with New Years that I love and that is making New Years resolutions.
To give some background, my New Years resolution for the last well-- since I can remember was to stop swearing. That worked really fucking well.
Last year, I gave up texting while driving. For once, I stuck to a resolution! So, I go into making 2012 resolutions with the resolve that I can do anything! Except give up my sailor mouth.
Here are a few of my New Years resolutions for 2012:
1. Donate. I donate to the ASPCA every month but, I am sure there is some extra cash I spend on clothing that I could give as well. We are upping the ante in 2012!
2. Move On. There are many things I've carried with me throughout 2011. I am planning on losing the baggage in 2012, letting go and moving on from anything that weighed me down in 2011.
3. Improve. I know this sounds very generic but, I think it is good to remember that you should constantly be improving. In the deepest darkness of a situation is an opportunity to improve, and I often times forget that fact. I also have more specific improvement resolutions that fall under this umbrella: a promotion, self image improvement etc.
4. Blessings Journal. A recent friend told me about her Blessings Journal. Each night she takes out her journal and writes one reason why she is blessed. When she has a bad day, or is going through a tougher time, she takes out the journal and reads. What a fabulous idea!
5. Blog. I neglect this blog a little too much, and I'd like to give it a little more tender loving care in 2012.
Cheers to 2012 everyone. Bigger and better than ever!